I'm a Mormon.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

What to do...


Ok so its the final week of the semester and things are CRAZY!!!! I really just want to sit and do nothing... but thats not an option... Its all good though :) I have one week until I go and spend a week with my grandparents :D that will be FANTASTIC!!!! WHOOT!!!!
Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking and stuff about majors and what I want to do with my life. A lot of my music teachers have been using this talk by Boyd K. Packer called "The Arts and the Spirit of the Lord" (Its a great talk you should read it!) In the talk there is one line that always hits me.
“There are many who struggle and climb and finally reach the top of the ladder, only to find that it is leaning against the wrong wall.”
I know he is talking about how when we use our talents we need to make sure its for the lord and not our selves but i keep hearing it as what if you get your degree in music ed and you hate it... I mean I have never really wanted anything else other than to teach people how to love music but i dont know. What if this is the wrong path for me. So here is the plan. I am going to write down all of the things I could major in that I might be good at and why I would pick it. So here I go.

First Music ed. : I love to sing. I have been singing since I was a little girl. I remember singing as loud as I could in sacrament because I wanted other people to hear me. Yes I am not the next Judy Garland but I am no William Hung either and I don't need to be the best in order to teach. All I need is a love of music and a love of teaching kids. I have both of those. It would be fun to do that I would love it so much :)
down fall: I totally suck at music theory...

Elementary Ed. I love kids so much! and I have a little experience working with my sunbeam class at church. I would be a great kindergarten teacher. I am a kid myself in many ways. I would love helping coloring and stuff Down fall: I am afraid that I would teach some poor child something wrong and then they would be in huge trouble and not know anything.

Child Development: In the end I just want to be a mom. This would help me in that a lot but in the long run what would this major do for me if I need to get a job. Probably not very much sadly.

Communications: Here I could do something with broadcasting or journalism or something. I am not that strong of writer but I am a good communicator. If you have ever talked to me you know I enjoy communicating. With communications I could always minor in music then work for a radio company... that would be really cool! I think I would enjoy that.

In the end I'm not sure what I want to do... I will probably just keep going on music ed because I know I like that now... I just hope it works in the long run but if any one is reading this and you know me comment and tell me what you think sounds most like me.

2 comments:

  1. Girl I know exactly what you are struggling through...For me when I started to re-think interior design I didn't know how to know for SURE that it wasn't for me....So I did what every good Mormon girl does. Prayed: asking for guidance (after I had made a decision [mine being to drop the ID program]and also a clear mind. I also asked for Heavenly Father to tell me in some way I would know for sure, 'cause sometimes I just don't get the message ya know? i also went to the Temple and did baptisms. I took my Patriarchal Blessing and read that as I waited my turn to go.
    Let me tell you...When I got out of the Temple I felt soooo LIGHT! I was happy and I knew I was doing the right thing. All my doubts just disappeared and when I called my mom, I was so relieved I cried. She could tell that my upbeat energy had returned and that I had made the right choice.

    My advice: pray then go to the temple to clear your mind...Heavenly Father will do the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These decisions are hard! I think that elementary education has a lot of appeal because you can incorporate many of your interests/passions, while giving so much to children. I'm a little biased...I think that great teachers make such a huge difference in the world and the future. A supportive school system will allow you to utilize music in your teaching and maybe even some German! And I wouldn't worry too much about teaching something wrong...teachers have curriculum guidance and support for planning lessons. I think you'd make an amazing teacher!! But ultimately, it's your decision and you need to look into your heart and pray for guidance to come to the best solution for you. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete